TREK (Travel Reimbursement for Enhancing Knowledge) Grants
These grants are to increase opportunities for permanent faculty members (FSA and BCGEU) to attend conferences that specifically enhance teaching and support student learning.
Funding awarded for non-salary expenses (i.e., attending a workshop as a participant or purchasing resources) will be treated as expense reimbursement if paid for directly by the applicant. These payments are not treated as employment income and the applicant will be reimbursed the exact amount expended.
- If you are planning to attend the conference as a participant, you may apply for up to $1,000 to cover or help offset the costs*.
- If you are participating in a poster session, you may apply for up to $1,500.
- If you are an accepted presenter** on behalf of BCIT, you may apply for additional funds up to a maximum of $2,000*.
Recently approved conferences:
- Educational Technology User Group, (ETUG) Spring Conference, Kamloops, BC Dates: June 20-21, 2019
- ACE-WIL, (Co-op education and Work Integrated Learning), Victoria, B.C. Dates: May 12-15, 2019
- Western Canada Health Science Educators (WCHSE): Growing Creative Teaching Practices, Kelowna, B.C., May 21-24, 2019
- Canadian Media Educators, Canmore Alberta, Tuesday, May 28 to Saturday, June 1, 2019
- Arboriculture & Urban Forestry Educators' Symposium & Summit, Morton Arboretum (Lisle, Illinois), May 19-22, 2019
- Canadian Society for the Study of Education conference at UBC June 1-5, 2019
Types of events not supported:
- AGM's or business meetings
- Presentations of research findings not related directly to teaching and learning
- Continuing education on innovative or new content developments in your discipline which are not directly related to enhancing teaching or supporting student learning
$50,000 has been allocated for this purpose for this fiscal year and grants to eligible applicants will be made on a first-come, first-served basis.
*These funds may be used to cover conference registration, hotels, travel, per diem, etc. All costs must be in accordance with BCIT's current Travel Policy. Please bear in mind the recent changes to the Travel Policy.
**Funds are awarded on a per presentation basis rather than per presenter. When more than one individual is presenting, the amount awarded will be divided between co-presenters to a maximum of $2,000.
- There is a maximum TREK Grant amount of $1,000 for attendees, $1,500 for poster sessions and $2,000 for presenters per fiscal year, per individual.
- Preference may be given to applications that have some joint support (i.e. school, department, pooled PD funds, personal monies, other sources).
- Faculty members are encouraged to minimize travel and accommodation expenses when such options are available (please refer to BCIT Travel Policy under "Accommodation").
- Funds will be released/cross charged upon submission of your expenses and a brief reflective report of what you learned and how you might apply it.
- Requests for support for multiple presenters of the same session will only be supported if funding is available.
How to apply for TREK funding
Applications may be submitted anytime from September 1 to May 31. Allow at least one month for a decision to be made.
Note: Approval from the Institution and the Committee is required for traveling. Do not travel and then ask for approval. Retroactive decisions will not be considered by the committee.
Please follow these steps to successfully complete the documentation that is required prior to your travel:
Step 1. Complete the Request for Approval to Travel – FIN23, which is also found in The Loop. In the search function on the Loop, enter Request for Approval to Travel - FIN23.
- The FIN23 form MUST be completed on-line.
- Once completed, save the document into your electronic files.
- Once saved, print the document and sign it on page 1, Part 3
Step 2. On page 2, Part 6, ensure you have your manager, and your PD co-ordinator sign as well.
Step 3. Send the form by way of interoffice mail to Glen Magel, Safety and Security for approval and sign off.
Step 4. When the FIN23 is returned to you, scan a copy of the FIN23 AND your TREK application form. Email these documents to: email@example.com
If you cannot scan and send the signed forms, you can do the following:
- email the completed but unsigned TREK form as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow up by:
- sending a signed TREK paper copy AND your FIN23 through the interoffice mail to Faculty Development Co-ordinator, Learning and Teaching Centre SE12-203.