Instructional Enhancement Grants, IEG, IE GrantApplication grant forms are due on Friday, September 28th, 2018 for the next round of available funds.Once per year, all BCIT employees who are involved in teaching or teaching related activities are eligible to apply for an Instructional Enhancement Grant of up to $10,000. Grants will be awarded to provide funding for educational initiatives that enhance teaching and learning at BCIT. Grants will be awarded and administered according to the information set out on this page.
Funding awarded for teaching or teaching-related activities will be treated as employment income, subject to all applicable deductions/contributions (i.e., Pension, CPP, EI, and income tax) and processed as a PTS contract by Payroll at BCIT. Please note that applicants will thus receive the net amount after deducting the employee’s share of all applicable statutory withholdings, not the gross amount of the award; such amount will be reported on the applicant’s T4 at the end of the calendar year in which it is received.
Instructional Enhancement Grants 2018/19
Grant application process
- Review the Instructional Enhancement Grant information on this page.
- Download the application form. [Word doc, 59kB]
- Send your completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application grant forms are due on Friday, September 28th, 2018 for the next round of available funds.
Proposals will be judged according to the following criteria:
- Educational Impact: What is the potential impact on teaching and learning effectiveness or efficiency; i.e., what difference will the proposed project make to the teaching/learning process at BCIT.
- Applicability to Other Members of the BCIT Community: To what degree can the project deliverables be used by other faculty, students, programs and schools.
- Opportunities for Innovation: Does the project represent something new, untried or significantly different from the status quo? Will it open up new possibilities or opportunities, solve an instructional problem, field test new or untried educational technology or replicate educational research from another jurisdiction.
- Joint Support: What other resources are available to help fund the project, e.g., pooled PD funds, program or school resources, external funds, personal resources etc.
Allowable budget items
The following budget items will be considered for funding:
- For full-time teaching employees, payment of the grant can be: either through release time which is calculated according to the Collective Agreement that applies: or a temporary contract (according to the Collective Agreement that applies) or a temporary contract in combination with release time (according to the Collective Agreement that applies).
- For part-time teaching employees, payment of the grant will be through a temporary contract in accordance with the Collective Agreement that applies.
Note: Any employee, either full-time or part-time, who will exceed 100% of a regular workload by accepting the grant must, in the application, justify that their normal workload will not be compromised.
- Selected computer software and minor hardware upgrades if not available on campus.
- Conference fees. Requests for conference fees must include itemized expenses and a conference brochure.
- Travel expenses for conferences and site visits. (TREK funds may apply)
- Fee for service from the Learning and Teaching Centre (eg. actors for video production), IT Services or the Technology Centre, with authorizing signature.
- Fee for service from external consultants. Fees for external consultants will only be considered when some very specific and highly specialized expertise is not available within the Institute. The granting of such fees will be subject to close scrutiny by the Faculty and Staff Association and must be approved through the RTUNES process. Applicants should be aware that such requests may take some time to process.
Computer hardware and related equipment will NOT be considered for funding, for example:
- a laptop or desktop computer
- a scanner
- any software or hardware readily available on campus
The project must include the following deliverables:
- submission of a detailed proposal
- submission of a progress report (partial payment may be made at this time)*
- meeting with Instructional Development Committee representative to show evidence of accomplishments*
- submission of a final report or sample project deliverables
- workshop presentation for program/school colleagues and/or institute community
*requires sign-off from the Instructional Development Committee.