FAQ: For Immigration
- Does ICES have any offices or agents outside of Canada?
- Can you tell me how many points I have for immigration?
- Can you give me an idea of what my credential is comparable to over the telephone or by email?
- Do I need to have my high school credential evaluated?
- I have not completed my program of study yet, can I still apply for an ICES ECA?
- Will I be able to use my ICES ECA for other purposes after I arrive in Canada?
- I already have an ICES report. How can I upgrade to an ICES ECA for Immigration purposes?
- What is included in my ICES ECA?
- Does my ICES ECA expire?
- How much does an ICES ECA cost?
- How can I pay for my ICES ECA if I'm submitting my application via mail?
- How long does an evaluation take?
- Are there institutions ICES will not evaluate?
- What is a credential?
- What documents do I have to submit?
- What are official documents?
- I completed my studies from China, where should my verification come from?
- I'm having my university send you documents. Do I need to apply before the documents get there?
- If I'm having more than one credential evaluated, will all my credentials appear on the same report?
- Will you call me when my official documents arrive?
- Can ICES contact my school for me?
- Can I get my ECA faster?
- How can I contact ICES via email?
- Can I receive a refund if I cancel the evaluation process?
- Will ECAs be issued in French?
- What if I want another credential added to my ECA after it is finished?
- I want to apply by mail. Can I pay online?
- What does a completed ECA application look like?
- Can I apply online for both my spouse and myself?
Does ICES have any offices or agents outside of Canada?
The International Credential Evaluation Service operates out of an office in Burnaby, BC, Canada. Our services may be directly accessed from anywhere in the world by submitting an application form, which is available on our website. Educational documents may be sent to us via regular mail or courier.
While there are many agencies that assist individuals in seeking an assessment of their education from ICES, they are not authorized to charge any premiums for this service. It is not necessary to access our service through any third party as individuals may come to us directly.
Can you tell me how many points I have for immigration?
ICES cannot answer questions regarding immigration and eligibility for CIC immigration programs. It is up to you to decide which credential you would like evaluated, again ICES cannot advise you on this matter. Please visit the CIC website for more information.Top
Can you give me an idea of what my credential is comparable to over the telephone or by email?
ICES is unable to review credentials over the telephone or via email. If you want your credentials evaluated, submit an application form and pay for the service; only then will we perform research.Top
Do I need to have my high school credential evaluated?
It is up to you to decide which completed foreign credentials you would like ICES to assess. You will receive immigration points for the Canadian equivalency of your highest level degree, diploma or certificate (or combination) and it is generally sufficient to only have your highest credential assessed and unnecessary to have your high school credential evaluated. For more information, please visit Canadian Immigration and Points Eligibility.Top
I have not completed my program of study yet, can I still apply for an ICES ECA?
No. As stipulated by the CIC only completed programs of study will be assessed for points purposes. If a credential is not completed we cannot provide comparability to a completed Canadian credential.Top
Will I be able to use my ICES ECA for other purposes after I arrive in Canada?
The ECA report is intended for immigration purposes only. Please check with the receiving organization to inquire whether the assessment may meet their needs for credential evaluation.Top
I already have an ICES report. How can I upgrade to an ICES ECA for Immigration purposes?
If you are already an ICES client and have had an evaluation/assessment completed in the past please fill out this form to update your evaluation to meet the requirements of an ECA. Please note you must submit a colour copy of your government photo ID. Also, if your evaluation was not based on official documents, you will now need to arrange for official documents to arrive directly to our office. If your previous report was already based on official documents, it may not be necessary to submit any additional documents.Top
What is included in my ICES ECA?
- The name of the client
- The date of birth of the client
- The ICES client number
- The CIC reference number for verification purposes
- The name of the institution
- The country in which the institution is located
- The authenticity of the credential
- The admission requirements
- The level and duration of the program.
- The specialization of the program if any
- The recognition of the institution and program
- The comparable level of education in Canada
Does my ICES ECA expire?
The ECA is valid for five years for immigration purposes. Please note, that ICES may retain my personal non-financial information for at least ten years from the date of application and that it may retain this information indefinitely if ICES determines that my documents are not authentic.Top
How much does an ICES ECA cost?
Please see Service fees associated with the ECA.Top
How can I pay for my ICES ECA if I'm submitting my application via mail?
Multiple payment options are available to all applicants, including certified cheques, bank drafts, money orders, Mastercard, American Express, Visa. Please note all ICES fees must be made in Canadian funds. Please make payment payable to: International Credential Evaluation Service).
Note: Debit or Cheque cards can only be processed in person. When you access the online application, payment can be made there.
Lastly, please ensure your credit card is authorized to make international payments if you are abroad. You may want to contact your financial institution or credit card provider to authorize these types of transactions. Please submit payment with your application, failure to do so may end up in cancellation of your application request.
How long does an evaluation take?
ECA completion times may be affected by volume. Please see Processing Time.Top
Are there institutions ICES will not evaluate?
Yes, please review the country-specific information that can be found on our document requirements page. ICES reserves the right to add new institutions to these listings at any time.Top
What is a credential?
An ECA credential is a fully completed educational program from one institution leading to a certificate, diploma or degree. Each certificate, diploma or degree program you have taken is a separate credential. No partial credentials will be evaluated.Top
What documents do I have to submit?
Please refer directly to the document requirements listed at For Immigration: Step 1.Top
What are official documents?
Official documents are:
- Mailed from educational institution directly to ICES office
- Document has never been handled by client, client's friend or relative
- Bears proper seals, signatures, and postal markings
- If you have completed your studies in China, you must satisfy the verification through the CDGDC or the CHESICC/CHSI
- These documents can also be sent by the academic authority directly to our office via email.
I completed my studies from China, where should my verification come from?
Applicants with credentials from the People's Republic of China (PRC) will be required to have a China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC) validation sent directly to our offices. For non-university or Benke-level awards you may choose to arrange for credential authenticity reports to be sent directly to ICES by the China Higher Education Student Information and Career Center (CHESICC/CHSI).Top
I'm having my university send you documents. Do I need to apply before the documents get there?
We don't throw out mail that universities send us, but in general your evaluation will proceed more quickly if you have applied before official documents get here. That way the mail goes into your file the moment it arrives.Top
If I'm having more than one credential evaluated, will all my credentials appear on the same report?
Yes, if a client is having more than one credential evaluated they will all appear on a single ECATop
Will you call me when my official documents arrive?
No. Although we would like to keep everyone informed about the status of their files, due to the sheer volume of mail we receive we are unable to individually contact each client to inform them that documents have arrived. If you wish to find out more about the status of a file, please contact our office via telephone or email.Top
Can ICES contact my school for me?
It is the client’s responsibility to have official documents sent from the source institution.Top
Can I get my ECA faster?
ICES offers rush service (when available) to clients requiring completion of their ECA faster than the normal timelines. If available, rush ECA assessments can be completed in half the time. Please refer to Processing Time for availability.Top
How can I contact ICES via email?
Please contact ices via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure to include "ECA" in the subject line so we can more accurately serve you.Top
Can I receive a refund if I cancel the evaluation process?
If applicants cancel the evaluation process they are not entitled to a refund. If however, ICES cancels the evaluation or refuses to accept the application a refund may be issued.Top
Will ECAs be issued in French?
In cases where an individual only submits documents in French, ICES will not translate these documents into English, course names, titles and other information will remain in French if applicable. If an individual submits English translations ICES will use this information for the ECA. Note, results of the ECA including comparability statements are issued in English only.Top
What if I want another credential added to my ECA after it is finished?
Adding another entirely new credential onto a completed evaluation will cost the same as getting a new report for a single credential. Please follow the same application process as before. Please note if you are already an existing ICES client, the online application process will not be available to you.Top
I want to apply by mail. Can I pay online?
No. You can only pay online if you apply online. Mailed applications must include payment.Top
What does a completed ECA application look like?
For your reference:Top
Can I apply online for both my spouse and myself?
Each online application should be separately submitted for each individual applicant. Note that each applicant will also need their own email address to apply.Top