Resources & Supports for Employees
During this unprecedented time in our history, as information changes hourly and daily, it can increase the uncertainty that we are feeling. At the same time, as we adjust to the new way of working and practicing physical distancing, we may experience increased levels of anxiety.
We understand this is a stressful and uncertain global situation and that many of you are concerned for your own health, your family's health and the well-being of the broader community.
We would like to remind you that resources and supports are available to employees and encourage you to review the information provided here and access the resources available to you.
Quick read articles
- Building Your Resilience [PDF]
- Finding the Silver Lining [PDF]
- Coping with a Traumatic Event [PDF]
- Quelling COVID-19 Anxiety [PDF]
- The COVID19 - Pandemic: Managing the Impact [PDF]
- COVID-19 Managing Stress & Anxiety [PDF]
- How to speak to Children about COVID-19 [PDF]
- Parenting During a Pandemic [PDF]
- Virtual Workspace, the new norm [PDF]
- Stay Productive and Motivated while working from Home [PDF]
Online courses & videos
- Homewood Health online course on Resilience [PDF].
- The Not Myself Today employee portal has two videos on resilience:
- An Astronaut's Guide to Self Isolation – Chris Hadfield (2:06 minutes)
- Introduction to the SCARF Change Management Model – for insights into why we may feel the way we do right now (3:50 minutes)
- Employees and their dependants have access to iVolve [PDF], which is an online self-paced Cognitive Behavioural Therapy treatment program for depression, anxiety and overall mental health.
- Homewood Health self-care starter kit [PDF] to help you build a self-care plan to improve your quality of life.
- Practicing mindfulness can support our mental health. The Not Myself Today program provides an activity sheet of mindful practices [PDF] to help settle the mind and increase focus and concentration as well as guided audio clips on the employee portal. To access the employee portal, please refer to the login instructions on the Not Myself Today Loop page.
- Stronger Minds by Beacon is a free digital program for all Canadians to support your mental well-being through the COVID-19 crisis. This program provides: timely videos and quick reads from mental health experts, activities to help you gain resilience and “Ask an Expert” videos in response to questions on various topics.
- Employees and dependants may take advantage of professional counselling services through BCIT's Employee and Family Assistance provider Homewood Health at 1-800-663-1142.
The resources below are offered through LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com) and are available to all BCIT employees.
- Getting to the Core of Your Overwhelm
- Embracing Unexpected Change
- Health and wellness for working remotely
- Working remotely from home
- Expectations with your remote boss
- Avoiding distractions
- Maintaining regular contact with team members
Holding remote meetings
- Stay connected with Zoom meetings
- Facilitate your virtual meeting
- Successful remote meetings
- Manage participation in your virtual meeting
Additional BCIT resources
- Telework Resources
- ITS Resources for Working Remotely
- ITS Knowledge Base - Information on BCIT systems and tools, including Zoom, AccessAnywhere and Workspace
- LTC Help Centre - Information on the Learning Hub and other online learning tools
- Occupational Health & Safety - COVID-19 related information, including posters, assessments and safe work procedures