The school promotes a collaborative learning environment to prepare you to transform the future of healthcare.Come to BCIT to:
- Learn effective communication and leadership skills
- Develop skills to be ambassadors for patient safety
- Develop critical thinking skills to enact effective change (innovators)
- Learn how to be an effective healthcare team member
What is interprofessional collaboration?"Interprofessional collaboration is the process of developing and maintaining effective interprofessional working relationships with learners, practitioners, patients/clients/ families and communities to enable optimal health outcomes."
National Interprofessional Competency Framework – CIHC, 2010
What is interprofessional education?"Interprofessional education occurs when students from two or more professions learn about, from and with each other to enable effective collaboration and improve health outcomes"
WHO – 2010
The Canadian Interprofessional Health Collaborative (CIHC) competency framework [PDF] highlights six (6) competency domains describing the knowledge, skills and attitudes needed for interprofessional education.
Why is Interprofessional Education Important?Evidenced-based research suggests that Interprofessional education leads to interprofessional collaboration and improves:
- Client/family centered care
- Quality of client care
- Client safety
- Communication among healthcare professionals
- The integrity and contribution of each profession
- Improves job satisfaction