BSNC 8200: Practice of Nursing 10
Practice of Nursing 10 is a 200-hour practice experience for students to integrate theoretical learning with practical application in a focus of practice.
BSNC 8200 nursing students provide responsible, accountable, nursing care based on the BCIT & Preceptorship 2 standards and clinical practice indicators [PDF] and with the appropriate supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN) preceptor.
Students are expected to review the Competencies in the context of entry-level registered nurse practice in British Columbia (CRNBC, 2015) [PDF], as these are the expected competencies upon graduation.
Students receive funding by way of a bursary for a maximum of 200 hours.
The clinical learning opportunities in Practice of Nursing 10 are in a Focus of Practice area. At present these include:
- High Acuity
- Home Health
- Mental Health
The purpose of Practice of Nursing 10 is to enable the student, in a focus of practice area, to:
- Develop independence in their role as a nurse and give competent care
- Manage a nursing workload with some assignment back to the preceptor as required
- Manage a number of responsibilities such as: unexpected events, complex levels of care, conflict, etc
- Exemplify professional values, attitudes, and ethics
- Communicate therapeutically with clients, families, groups, and communities and integrate these clients into care
- Advocate on behalf of clients, families, groups and communities
- Maintain professional development by monitoring, evaluating, and modifying own practice and assuming responsibility for learning
- Demonstrate ability to think critically, make clinical judgments, value evidence as a basis for practice, and participate collaboratively as a member of the interdisciplinary team
- Develop personal leadership abilities
- Communicate nursing’s contribution to the health of clients (nursing agency)
- Coordinate multidisciplinary care
- Utilize opportunities to practice specialty nursing skills in the focus of practice
Please take a look at the course outline for BSNC 8200 Practice of Nursing 10.