Climate Changemakers Youth Leadership Training
As has been demonstrated by the Fridays for Future climate strikes, youth can galvanize millions by their passion and energy. It is important to move beyond supporting the strikes and engage young men and women as emissaries to their communities. As part of the Climate Changemaker training, youth participants would be trained as Climate Changemaker Emissaries. Over the period of the training, participants will both build their leadership capacity while advancing their knowledge on climate change in the region and globally. During the workshop, they will also be connected to an online platform that supports them and continue to advance their learning.
The BCIT Centre for Ecocities, in partnership with UN-Habitat (for a Better Urban Future) and the UN Environment Programme (UNEP), is delivering the first international Climate Changemakers Youth Leadership Training on August 12th, 2021.
The climate changemaker workshop is presented to the youth that unpack and promote a carbon neutral “one planet” lifestyle. The Climate Changemakers Leadership curriculum will provide engaged young leaders with the skills, attitudes, knowledge, and experience needed to increase their capacity to influence positive change in their communities and unpack and promote a carbon neutral “one planet” lifestyle.
Course number: MOOC-0400
Course title: Climate Changemakers Youth Leadership Training
Completion criteria: Completion of the course material
Completion award: Digital Badge and Statement of Completion
Registration fee: None
This course is for youth who want to become “Climate Changemaker emissaries” by gaining:
- An overview of sustainability challenges, orientation to the UN Sustainable Development Goals, and an introduction to science-based and action-oriented tools drawn from the World Environmental Situation Room (UNEP), the City Prosperity Index (UN-Habitat), and the Sustainable Living Protocol developed by the British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT).
- Leadership training, including how to organize and coordinate climate impactful projects in communities.
- Communication training in social media and inter-governmental communications.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify sustainability challenges
- Identify SDGs and a framework for action
- Understand how to initiate change
- Identify leadership attitude for the long haul
- Explore the future //unfurl BHAG’s
- Map energy and engagement
- Use ‘gray thinking’
- Explain S.A.K.E.© and map a way to increase effective leadership
- Use resources including virtual sources
- Apply learned skills to increase leadership abilities as they relate to effecting social change and climate change
- Review governance, procedures and communications competencies and practice the skills necessary to be a strategic communicator with officials.
Delivery details – Canadian workshop
This is a one-day workshop and networking opportunity.
- August 12, 2021 – 9:00 AM to 12:30 PM PST
- Registration is now open
- The workshop website will become available for you in BCIT’s Learning Hub once you register.
- Digital Badge
- If you are new to BCIT, you will be required to create a BCIT account before registering for your course.
- Once you receive your BCIT ID (A0…) login and register for your course.
Note: If you are creating an account for the first time, it may take up to 24 hours before you are able to log in to BCIT to access your course.
- Access your online course at learn.bcit.ca.
- Login with your BCIT ID (A0…) and password.
- Scroll down to your My Courses listing and click on the course link.