Academic Integrity, and beyond
Academic integrity is a key value of post-secondary institutions. However, integrity is an important value to apply to all areas of a student’s current and future life. This course will discuss integrity as a core value in our lives not only as students, but also as workers and global citizens. The course will focus on:
- Defining personal integrity
- Inter-cultural perspectives on personal integrity
- Examining our own personal integrity values
- Applying personal integrity in academic, professional and global contexts
- Contributing to group/organizational integrity
- Personal integrity and leadership
- Exercising self-reflection regarding integrity
Lucas Ashton, Medical Labratory Sciences student
I took this course over the summer when I was getting ready to attend university for the first time. I had no idea how important this is and how different my life now is from my high school days. I feel this course has helped me to be more successful in my studies and my career.
Course number: MOOC-0121
Course title: Academic Integrity
Completion criteria: Review all the material and complete all the reflective activities
Registration fee: None
Anyone wanting a better understanding of personal integrity values, the effect of the choices we make on our lives, and tools to incorporate into their lives and work.
The online course consists of 6 independent study modules that enables you to proceed through the material at your own pace. Although it is recommended that you follow the lessons in consecutive order to maximize the learning, it is not a requirement.
This is no instructional or tutorial support available in this course. If you are struggling with any of the concepts, additional resources have been provided that may assist you with different perspectives on the course material. You are encouraged to investigate any of the topics in more detail.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Define personal integrity
- Identify inter-cultural perspectives regarding personal integrity
- Examine their own personal integrity values
- Begin to apply their own personal integrity to their current context
- Apply strategies for contributing to group/organizational integrity
- Apply personal integrity to their leadership role (if applicable)
- Exercise self-reflection as a routine part of their personal/academic/professional/global life
- Approximately 12 hours
- Statement of Completion
- Digital Badge
- If you are new to BCIT, you will be required to create a BCIT account before registering for your course.
- Once you receive your BCIT ID (A0…) login and register (replace with the Banner course page URL) for your course.
Note: If you are creating an account for the first time, it may take up to 24 hours before you are able to log in to BCIT to access your course.
- Access your online course at learn.bcit.ca.
- Login with your BCIT ID (A0…) and password.
- Scroll down to your My Courses listing and click on the course link.