Facilities and Campus Development actively integrates sustainable practices for energy management within its operations across all five campuses. These activities result in significant reductions in CO2 emissions and substantial energy savings.
BCIT greenhouse gas emissions by source 2017 (tC02e*)
Total emissions: 8,915
Offsets applied to become carbon neutral in 2017
Total offsets required: 8,910
Total offset investment: $222,750
Emissions which do not require offsets: 5‡
*Tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent (tCO2e) is a standard unit of measure in which all types of greenhouse gases are expressed based on their global warming potential relative to carbon dioxide.‡ Under the Carbon Neutral Government Regulation of the Greenhouse Gas Reduction Targets Act, all emissions from the sources listed above must be reported. As outlined in the regulation, some emissions do not require offsets.
Download BCIT's 2017 Carbon Neutral Action Report [PDF]
2017 GHG reduction projects
- Through our Solar PV installations, we have generated 191 MWh of electricity. 35 MWh of power has been delivered to vehicles through our Electric Vehicle charging stations.
- A solar hot water system was installed at our Marine campus in North Vancouver to heat the teaching pool and reduce the need for natural gas.
- Several BCIT fleet vehicles were upgraded to low or zero-emission models.
- Electricity, natural gas, and thermal energy meters were installed at the building level across the Burnaby campus to allow for real-time measurement of energy use.
Next steps: 2018 and beyondKey activities for the coming years include:
- Partnering with BC Hydro and FortisBC, BCIT will be undertaking several large HVAC retrofit and efficient control strategy projects.
- Replacement of 50-year-old, inefficient boilers with high-efficiency condensing models.
- BCIT Imaging has set up a system called “Papercut” that will require staff to go to printers to release their print jobs. This cuts down on abandoned printing.
- LED lighting upgrades with efficient controls will occur at the Downtown and Burnaby campuses.