Read&Write Gold is available on all BCIT computer labs and Library eh-Pod machines. Registered BCIT students and BCIT staff also qualify for a free download of the program for home use.
Please respect others by using headphones when using Read Aloud feature on Read&Write in a public area.
Read&Write helps all individuals succeed regardless of their ability or learning style. It allows access to curriculum content to complete reading, writing, research assignments and tests independently, improve your study skills and other.
The customizable, easy-to-use toolbar effortlessly integrates with common applications including Microsoft Word, Google Docs, Adobe Reader, as well as pdf and other documents so that you can independently and confidently progress at your own pace. Chrome, Internet Explorer Web and browsers are recommended.
Take and advantage of Read&Write GOLD:
- Improve reading fluency and comprehension
- Facilitate research writing, studying, and test taking
- Increase your independence and inclusion
- Use tools suited for day-to-day support
- Work with PDF files
- Combine it with mainstream applications.
- Reads aloud with dual highlighting text found in document or on the web. Individual words are highlighted in one colour as they are spoken while the rest of the sentence is presented in another colour. That has been proved to raise comprehension levels by 20%.
- Allows selection of preferred reading voice and pitch, speed, and volume to suit your individual needs.
- Offers options of reading word-by-word, one sentence at a time, one paragraph at a time or continuously reads aloud text that is a part of an image contained within inaccessible Flash, in a locked PDF or on web pages.
- Converts text into audio files (either WAV or MP3 files) with the use of Speech maker.
- Reads DAISY Books aloud with dual colour highlighting.
- Screen Masking allows to focus on the screen or having a visual reference.
- On-line talking dictionaries provide definitions and alternative words for a selected word.
- If you require augmentative and alternative communication, a Picture Dictionary feature displays a visual image from Widget Symbols to better understand the meaning of the word. Text definitions can also be displayed if desired.
- Pronunciation Tutor helps you "see" how words, including their syllables, are pronounced.
- Translator interprets single words, paragraphs, or blocks of text into multiple languages.
- Can help you formulate ideas, construct sentences, prepare drafts, and finalize writing for assignments, essays, papers, and everyday use.
- Advanced phonetic Spell Checker stimulates the analysis and correction of spelling mistakes.
- Talking Word Processor reads text to you as you type.
- Offers integrated dictionaries and thesauruses, suggests word choices before making changes allowing you to make a more informed decision when editing your written work.
- Word Prediction can learn your writing style and predict the word you may want to use next.
- Word Wizard can be used for those times when you are at a loss for a word or phrases. It also can search for words using opposites or other relationships.
- Allows viewing descriptions of like sounding words to ensure the correct spelling.
- Provides correct pronunciation of each syllable of a selected word.
- The Verb Checker helps you determine the correct verb for past, present, or future tense.
- Performs math calculation with help of simple or scientific talking calculator, converses length, mass, velocity, time, temperature, and volume, as well as calculates equations within a document.
- Fact Finder finds information on the internet easier and faster.
- Fact Mapper helps visual learners brainstorm, map out ideas and create outlines for essays.
- Offers colored highlighters for highlighting words or sections of text, such as main ideas, supporting details, and vocabulary words; then extracts highlighted texts from different documents or web pages to create study guides, outline, gathers information for a project or complete assignments.
- Allows you to build a vocabulary list, a table with the words, definitions, and images representing each word.
- Scans printed documents, saved images, or PDF documents into Microsoft Word, HTML or PDF format. The scanned document can be then read aloud or edited. This is ideal for scanning assignments or tests, typing answers, and then reading your answers aloud to make sure that your answers reflect your actual knowledge.
- With the easy-to-use PDF Accessibility Editor, you can set and control the reading order of PDF files.
- Testmaker allows you to quickly create and deliver online interactive tests and surveys.
- In addition to text-to-speech with choice of reading voice, eBook support tools include a Dictionary, Translator, Sticky Notes, Highlighters, Calculator, and Typewriter. Student-ready alternate-format versions of textbooks and core materials (e.g. Digital Talking books) can be created with the NIMAS Conversion Tool.
More information about the software is available on the Read&Write website.
Please book an appointment to meet with your Vocational Rehabilitation Specialists and discuss how READ&WRITE software can support your specific needs.