*Note: All information marked with an asterisk indicate that this content has been added/updated in the last 48 hours. If you have a question that has not been addressed on the BCIT COVID-19 resource page, please email email@example.com
Precautionary measures to avoid transmission of COVID-19 are similar to measures to prevent cold and flu. For questions related to self-isolation or COVID-19 please call 8-1-1
- Wash your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds using soap and water.
- If a sink is not available, 60-90% alcohol-based hand rubs (hand sanitizer) can be used to clean hands if they are not visibly soiled. If they are visibly soiled, you can use an alcohol-based disposable hand wipe to remove the dirt and then use an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Do not touch your face/eyes/mouth with unwashed hands.
- When you sneeze or cough, cover your mouth and nose with a disposable tissue or the crease of your elbow, and then wash your hands.
- Stay home when you are ill.
- Avoid close contact with others.
According to the BCCDC website, symptoms for COVID-19 include fever, cough, muscle aches, and difficulty breathing. Anyone concerned that they may have been exposed to, or are experiencing symptoms of the novel coronavirus, use the BC Centre for Disease Control self-assessment tool at which point they will be connected to further information and instruction from health professionals.
If you have additional questions, please visit the Canada Health FAQ webpage or call the Public Health Agency of Canada COVID-19 telephone information line at 1-833-784-4397.
Wellness and counselling
We’d like to remind the BCIT community that counselling resources are always available. Counselling services for faculty and staff are available 24/7 through Homewood Health by calling 1-800-663-1142. Counselling services for students are available through BCIT Student Counselling by calling 604-432-8608.