The course content is based upon the IMO Model Course, ISPS Code, the Marine Transportation Security Regulations, Transport Canada's Marine Security requirements and guidelines for a Ship Security Officer. The techniques and skills required to address the qualifications and duties of Ship (Vessel) Security Officer: (a) the security of a ship, (b) implementing and maintenance of a ship security plan, and (c) liaising with a Company Security Officer (CSO) and a Port (Marine) Facility Officer (PFSO/MFSO), will be provided. Emphasis is placed on awareness of terrorist threats and methods of operation as well as obtaining current intelligence, threat assessments, and the importance of training and vigilance. The course provides reference to the pertinent Acts, Regulations, Codes, International Resolutions, Administrative Guides, and Industry Standards to be in compliance with the ISPS Code and Transport Canada Marine Security's requirements.
- The student must be 18 years of age or older; and has at least 12 months of sea time via confirmation from the Marine Safety Directorate of TC; and is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. Must provide at least one piece of ID as per Transport Canada's requirements.
Below is one offering of MSEC 1010 for the Winter 2023 term.
Mon Mar 20 - Wed Mar 22 (3 days)
- 3 days
- CRN 89895
Class meeting times
|Mar 20 - Mar 22||Mon, Tue, Wed||08:30 - 16:00||Marine BMC|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
COPIES of prerequisites must be submitted to the instructor on the first day of the course. Please refer to prerequisite section of course webpage for details.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Maintain and supervise the implementation of the Ship Security Plan.
- Propose modifications to the Ship Security Plan.
- Assess security risk, threat, and vulnerability.
- Undertake regular security inspections of the ship.
- Coordinate the security aspects of the handling of cargo and ship's stores.
- Ensure that security systems and equipment are properly operated, tested, and calibrated.
- Report to the Company Security Officer on deficiencies and non-conformities during audit.
- Report all security incidents.
- Enhance security awareness and vigilance on board.
- Ensure adequate training has been provided to shipboard personnel.
Effective as of Winter 2008
Ship Security Officer Revised (MSEC 1010) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Transportation
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Ship Security Officer Revised (MSEC 1010)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.