The media industry is exponentially growing and changing. In this course you will discover where you may fit in the media industry. This begins with knowing how to navigate the media landscape. You will learn industry basics, the process of making viable media content and how to pitch your project. Human beings are natural born storytellers, it is part of why so many of us are drawn towards media. There are many ways to be a part of the industry that bring these stories to life. You will hear from experts in the field, in order to gain real life know how to navigate your career forward.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of BCST 4109 for the Winter 2023 term.
Thu Jan 05 - Thu Apr 06 (14 weeks)
- 14 weeks
- CRN 88571
Class meeting times
|Jan 05 - Apr 06||Thu||18:00 - 21:15||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
If seats remain, registration is permitted after the course start date up to January 18th by calling 604-434-1610. You will be expected to attend online during the posted class meeting times as this is not a self-paced course. Use of a desktop or laptop computer with a webcam and microphone is required.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Effectively workshop and provide feedback to peers/colleagues in media
- Determine the key points of media history
- Communicate the cause and effects of modern media
- Define the jargon and terminology of the media industry
- Distinguish the fundamental roles within a production
- Explore funding options available to media creators
- Assemble a group pitch package
- Analyze the collaborative process required to bring a project to fruition
- Plan and pitch a media project
- Communicate the skill sets and strengths they hope to bring to the industry
Effective as of Winter 2021
Navigating the Media Landscape (BCST 4109) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Navigating the Media Landscape (BCST 4109)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.