Please note that starting January 2019, OPMT7750 Data Modelling and Business Intelligence will replace OPMT7740 Integrated MIS. OPMT7740 will be discontinued at the end of December 2018. Enables you to appreciate the types of data that are collected into functional databases, how the data are synthesized into management information and how this information can be integrated into the strategic decision-making process. Helps you understand current business practices for strategic information technologies, microcomputing, digital communication, image processing, relational database, artificial intelligence, graphics, voice process, CASE, CAD/CAM, open systems, and EDI. You will be able to prepare and deliver effective oral and written presentations to management, while working with your project team to achieve common objectives.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- This course has been retired and is no longer offered. Find other Flexible Learning courses that may interest you.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Understand Data Modelling:
- Structure data gathering to a business need.
- Utilize systems to store, edit, and retrieve required data.
- Determine best practices in data use.
- Discuss ethical and legal considerations in the use of data.
- Understand Data Visualization:
- Build effective data visualizations to communicate meaning through data.
- Determine correct visual tool to analyze multiple data types.
- Perform quantitative and qualitative analyses as appropriate.
- Select tools to effectively convey meaning.
- Understand Power BI:
- Perform basic application use.
- Describe Business Intelligence (e.g., Online Analytical Processing or OLAP).
- Perform data analysis using MS Power BI toolset.
- Perform time series analysis (forecasting techniques).
- Apply Power BI to Data Mining and Discovery methods.
- Use single and multiple table data sources in Power BI.
Effective as of Fall 2018
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Integrated MIS (OPMT 7740)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.