The valedictorian is the representative of the graduating class. They deliver a formal address to all fellow graduating students, faculty and guest at Convocation.
Any BCIT student, staff or faculty member can nominate a graduating student to be valedictorian. Graduating students can also nominate themselves.
Two valedictorians will be selected for the Winter Convocations and five valedictorians will be selected for the Spring Convocations.
Eligibility and Criteria
Nominees will be considered by the Selection Committee in terms of the criteria listed below:
- Must be graduating at the upcoming Convocation
- Demonstrated involvement with BCIT and the community (e.g. volunteering, peer tutoring, Student Association involvement)
- Preference will be given to nominees who have maintained a minimum GPA of 80% throughout their program.
How to Nominate
Nominations for ceremonies taking place in February 2018 will open in December 2017, please check back with us. If you have questions or concerns please email email@example.com.
- Nominators must be faculty, staff members, or students of BCIT
- The form must be completed in full and signed by the nominator and nominee (or complete information provided by email and accompanied by email from nominee indicating acceptance of the nomination)
- At least two letters of reference must be provided, one being from an academic source. References may be contacted for clarification but reference letters should provide rationale for supporting the nomination.
A selection committee comprised of members from BCIT faculty, staff, and the BCIT Student Association will convene in January for Winter Convocation and in May for Spring Convocation. The committee will review all nomination packages and select valedictorians. All nominees will be notified of the committee's selections.