At BCIT, entrance requirements are program-specific. All programs require English 12, but the grade level varies. Be sure to check for the specific level of English required by your program (e.g., 67% in English 12). If you have specific questions about English entrance requirements, contact a Program Advisor.
COMM 0015 English Competency Assessment
This is a computer-based assessment designed to help determine if your reading, writing, and sentence skills are at a level necessary to meet the entrance requirements of BCIT full-time programs and part-time studies courses.
The entire COMM 0015 test is done on a computer in a BCIT Test Centre. It has three parts:
- Reading Skills - a 20 multiple-choice test consisting of identifying the main idea, organization, details, general principles, and intent of paragraphs. The suggested time for this section is 60 minutes.
- Sentence Skills - a 20 multiple-choice test consisting of identifying sentence errors and choosing the missing components of sentences to make them correct. The suggested time for this section is 30 minutes.
- Writing Skills - a 300 to 600 word composition on a given topic. The maximum time for this section is 60 minutes.
You have 90 minutes total to complete Parts 1 and 2, and then an additional 60 minutes to complete Part 3. The entire COMM 0015 test is approximately 2.5 hours long.
BCIT uses AccuplacerTM for the COMM 0015 test. Parts 1 and 2 are marked by computer. The essay in Part 3 is evaluated by at least two separate markers through BCIT's Communication Department.
Some sample questions and answers are available. If you wish more practice, further sample questions and answers are available online. Simply type "Accuplacer practice tests" into your search engine, and select appropriate sources from those that appear. For example, many post-secondary institutions (like BCIT) have sample questions or tests posted for their students that you can view. The AccuplacerTM site also has sample questions for students.
COMM 0033 English Speaking and Listening Assessment
This is a computer-based assessment designed to help determine if your speaking and listening skills are at a level necessary to meet the entrance requirements of BCIT full-time programs and part-time studies courses.
The entire COMM 0033 test is done on a computer in a BCIT computer lab. It has two parts:
- Speaking - This test consists of four speaking tasks. For each task, you will have one-minute to prepare your response, and then you will be expected to speak for one-minute into the microphone on your headset. Your responses will be recorded and accessed by trained evaluators.
- Task 1: Reading a passage.
- Task 2: Describing a picture.
- Task 3: Giving reasons or expressing an opinion.
- Task 4: Describing a past experience.
- Listening - This test consists of 22 multiple choice questions. While looking at pictures of the speakers on the computer, you will listen to a conversation or lecture. The question is then read, followed by the four answer choices. The suggested time for this section is 40 minutes.
The entire COMM 0033 test is approximately 1.5 hours long.
The speaking test in Part 1 is evaluated by at least two separate markers through BCIT's Communication Department. BCIT uses AccuplacerTM for the listening test in Part 2. The listening test is marked by computer.
There are no sample test questions available. COMM 0033 evaluates your overall English speaking and listening skills - and improving your overall speaking and listening skills is a long-term process. You need to do whatever it takes to improve your own skills. Check the Internet for ESL listening resources. You may also find it useful to practice recording yourself speaking: 1) reading short passages aloud with natural rhythm and 2) speaking continuously for one minute on a variety of topics.
Please note that each institution uses AccuplacerTM tests and scores differently to suit its needs. Thus, information found online about AccuplacerTM scores will not match BCIT's specific score system, which is calibrated to match English 12 levels.