BCIT Broadcast & Media Summer Camps
COVID-19 Update: BCIT Broadcast & Media Summer Camps are scheduled to go ahead. With health and safety as our top priority, the camps will follow a COVID-19 Safety Plan, known at BCIT as the Return to Campus Plan, that outlines the policies, guidelines, and procedures put in place to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission.
Watch the health and safety video, which includes the following measures:
- Limited capacity to allow for 2 metre physical distancing
- Protocols for hand washing and sanitizing
- Frequent cleaning and sanitizing of equipment and rooms
- Each participant is assigned their own equipment, supplies and workstation to be used only by them for the duration of the week
- Activities will take place inside and, as much as possible, outside. (Please note that participants must not have any severe outdoor related allergies.)
- Access to the facility will not be permitted to individuals displaying symptoms such as a fever, chills, new/worsening cough, shortness of breath, new muscle aches/headaches or a sore throat
- For the safety of others, anyone who has been in close contact with a person who tested positive for COVID-19 or has travelled outside of Canada within 14 days prior to their camp start date are asked to stay off campus
If a summer camp is cancelled by BCIT, a full refund will be issued.
Summer Camps 2020Take the time this summer to learn something remarkable! With the guidance of industry professionals, apply your creativity and step behind the scenes of the world of Broadcast and Media at BCIT's Summer Camps. All in-person summer camps will include indoor and outdoor activity.
The BCIT Broadcast Centre has been in operation for over 50 years and is pleased to offer summer programs tailored to 8-17 year olds.
Each summer camp is five days long. After camp care is available from 3:00pm to 5:30pm for $65 per week.
Animated Stories (Online)Enter the exciting world of interactive digital storytelling by creating animated books and stop motion videos. Learn to storyboard, create voice overs, experiment with soundscaping, play with coding, and discover how to transform your creations in the editing suite. In this online camp, campers will connect with each other and their instructors through interactive video sessions and a secure online camproom with discussion boards. Each day will include a morning and afternoon interactive video session, time to work on the day's challenge with instructor guidance, and an exercise / relaxation session.
- A computer
- A smartphone or tablet that has a camera to take videos and photos OR a digital camera where files can be uploaded to the computer
- Access to a high speed internet connection
- Building blocks (such as, Lego)
- Paper and pens
|8-13 Yr||Jul 27–31, 2020||9:00am to 2:00pm||Camp H
|13-17 Yr||Aug 10–14, 2020||10:00am to 3:00pm||Camp I
Audio Arts & Entertainment (In-Person)Your voice can tell a great story and our pros can show you how to use it to its fullest potential. Learn how announcers are trained to voice a range of media from commercials and cartoons to reporting for sports and entertainment. Record yourself in audio booths, run a soundboard, experiment with mixing, and create fun sound effects.
|8-13 Yr||Jul 6–10, 2020||10:00am to 3:00pm||Camp A|
|8-13 Yr||Aug 17–21, 2020||10:00am to 3:00pm||Camp F|
Digital Filmmaking (In-Person)Roll camera, Roll sound, Mark, Set, Action! Your filmmaking experience begins here. With access to BCIT’s green screen studio and other locations around campus, design cinematic visual compositions to get the right shots, lighting, and sound while making a music video and/or TV commercial. Explore both single camera and 360 videography.
Ages 13-17: Will also cover mobile photography and the ability to share and promote your work through social media. 13 year olds can choose between two age groups.
|8-13 Yr||Jul 20–24, 2020||8:30am to 3:30pm||Camp C FULL
|13-17 Yr||Aug 17–21, 2020||9:30am to 4:30pm||Camp G FULL
TV Broadcasting (In-Person)Get in front of the camera and go behind the scenes. Discover how a TV news and entertainment show comes together through hands-on experience. You will operate studio equipment, use green screen technology, shoot video, report, and anchor on exciting activities throughout the week. Previously known as TV & Video Production Camp.
New! Ages 13-17: Will also learn how to direct multi-camera shows and operate audio consoles to mix live sound. 13 year olds can choose between two age groups.
|8-13 Yr||Jul 13–17, 2020||8:30am to 3:30pm||Camp B FULL
|8-13 Yr||Aug 10–14, 2020||8:30am to 3:30pm||Camp E FULL
|13-17 Yr||Jul 27–31, 2020||9:30am to 4:30pm||Camp D|
Summer camp locationThe BCIT Burnaby Campus is located just off the Trans-Canada Highway at the corner of Willingdon Avenue and Canada Way:
3700 Willingdon Avenue
Burnaby, BC V5G 3H2