Registration for the 2021 summer camps is now closed and details for Summer 2022 will be available in the Spring. To receive information about future summer camps, please send your contact details to email@example.com or call 604-456-8103.
Take the time this summer to learn something remarkable! With the guidance of industry professionals, apply your creativity and step behind the scenes of the world of Broadcast and Media at BCIT’s Summer Camps. Most camps are in-person at the BCIT Burnaby campus and will include indoor and outdoor activity, but a select few are offered online.
The BCIT Broadcast Centre has been in operation for over 50 years and is pleased to offer summer programs tailored to 8-17 year olds.
You are passionate about sports and want to be part of the commentary even more. Take your enthusiasm to the next level by creating a radio sports talk show and anchoring a TV sportscast. Learn about voice recording and audio mixing while honing your interviewing and sideline reporting skills.
Advanced Digital Filmmaking
In this 4 day camp, take the skills you learned in BCIT’s Digital Filmmaking summer camp and build on them. Create a short scripted video and explore lighting, audio and editing so you can create your own content and cinematic productions.
Recommended for participants who have taken BCIT’s Digital Filmmaking camp, but open to those with some prior video experience.
Digital Game Design
Playing games is fun, but what if you could design a game of your own? Learn coding basics and the principles of game design so you can craft games on a few different platforms. Join the fun and get a kick out of seeing other people play your creation.
Audio Arts & Entertainment
Your voice can tell a great story and our pros can show you how to use it to its fullest potential. Learn how announcers are trained to voice a range of media from commercials and cartoons to reporting for news, sports and entertainment. Record yourself in audio booths, run a soundboard, experiment with mixing, and create fun sound effects.
Roll camera, Roll sound, Mark, Set, Action! Your filmmaking experience begins here. With access to BCIT’s green screen studio and other locations around campus, design cinematic visual compositions to get the right shots, lighting, and sound while making a music video and/or TV commercial. Explore both single camera and 360 videography. 13 year olds can choose between two age groups.
Get in front of the camera and go behind the scenes. Discover how a TV news and entertainment show comes together through hands-on experience. You will operate studio equipment, use green screen technology, shoot video, report, and anchor on exciting activities throughout the week. Previously known as TV & Video Production Camp.
You see the world through a lens with endless viewpoints and artistic possibilities. Using a DSLR camera provided by BCIT, learn about the technical and visual language of photography in studio and outdoor settings. Experiment with exposure, the rules of composition, lighting, and editing to create great images. Make this a summer of creative exploration and self-expression.
Release your inner performer and acquire fundamental acting skills for stage, TV, film, and social media. Delve into the realm of voiceovers and scene study to make an impact in every performance you will do. Build your confidence and learn about all aspects of the film industry from agents to production. All levels welcome.
With health and safety as our top priority, the summer camps will follow a COVID-19 Safety Plan, known at BCIT as a Go Forward Plan, which outlines the policies, guidelines, and procedures put in place to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission.
- Limited capacity to allow for 2 metre physical distancing
- Protocols for hand washing and sanitizing
- Frequent cleaning and sanitizing of equipment and rooms
- Each participant is assigned their own equipment, supplies and workstation to be used only by them for the duration of the week
- Activities will take place inside and outside. (Please note that participants should not have any severe outdoor related allergies.)
- Access to the facility will not be permitted to individuals if the answer is “yes” to any of the following:
- Does the camper or a member of their household have symptoms such as a fever, chills, new/worsening cough, shortness of breath, new muscle aches/headaches or a sore throat within the last 14 days?
- Has the camper or a member of their household been in close contact with a person who tested positive for COVID-19 or are otherwise required to self-isolate?
- Has the camper or a member of their household traveled outside of Canada within the last 14 days?
- Mask wearing is recommended in indoor public spaces for all people 12 and older who are not yet fully vaccinated. People who are not able to wear a mask for medical or other reasons are exempt and are asked to be especially careful to maintain a safe distance from others.
- Note: Credits or refunds due to illness will be issued on a prorated basis.
Summer camp location
The BCIT Burnaby Campus is located just off the Trans-Canada Highway at the corner of Willingdon Avenue and Canada Way:
3700 Willingdon Avenue
Burnaby, BC V5G 3H2
Drop off and pick up
Free 30 minute parking will be provided in any non-reserved spot in parking Lot 12 during pick up and drop off times.