If you have five or more years of professional business experience, you may qualify for an alternative path to complete a diploma or degree as a mature student.
- Advanced Diploma in Business Management (eight months)
- Human Resource Management Diploma (Advanced Placement – Diploma/Degree entry)
- Sustainable Business Leadership Advanced Diploma
- Graduate Certificate in Business Analytics
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) Degree Executive Path
Alternatively, you may qualify for advanced placement “direct entry option” into the following diploma programs:
- Business Information Technology Management – Artificial Intelligence Management
- Business Information Technology Management – Enterprise Systems Management
- Business Operations Management
- International Business Management
- International Business Management – Global Supply Chain Option
- Marketing Management – Tourism Management
- Marketing Management – Professional Sales
- General Insurance & Risk Management
- Financial Planning
All of the above options first require an Advanced Placement and Prior Learning (APPL) assessment which outlines individual path and bridging courses into the program. All applicants will need to demonstrate that they meet all program entrance requirements and meet one of the advanced placement eligibility requirements for their pathway.
International students: advanced placement “direct entry option” pathways and the BBA Degree Executive Path require part-time bridging courses. Part-time Studies is only available to domestic students or international students who have a valid status in Canada. If you are currently outside of Canada, you may only apply to the Advanced Diploma in Business Management or Level 1 of the Business Diploma programs.
Advanced Placement Eligibility:
(At least one of the following)
- Minimum of seven years progressive work experience, including five years supervisory
- Post-secondary courses, ICES Certified, Diploma or Degree plus over five years of supervisory work experience
- Red Seal or Journeyman Certificate
If you only have a Diploma or Degree, including ICES Certified, check for Advanced Placement with the Program Head directly
Graduate Certificate in Business Analytics Eligibility:
- Three years of post-secondary education at a Canadian recognized institution or equivalent International degree (ICES or WES certified)
- Five years of work experience in Data Analytics or related field (Business and Computer Science experience is advisable).
BBA Executive Path Eligibility:
(At least one of the following)
- Degree non-business plus five years work experience
- Post-secondary courses or non-business diploma plus seven years experience
- Diploma in business (non-BCIT) plus five years work experience
- Red Seal or Journeyman Certificate plus five years experience as a site supervisor, project or construction manager, or a self-employed contractor
- McDonald’s manager (second assistant manager or higher)
The work experience indicated above is equivalent to:
- Five year work experience equals minimum one year supervisory plus four years management/ administration
- Seven year work experience equals minimum three year supervisory plus four years management/ administration
- Non-management and non-supervisory roles will be assessed on an individual basis.
There is a $115 mature student APPL assessment fee for applicants with Canadian credentials and/or work experience and $285 fee for applicants with international credentials and/or work experience. This fee includes:
- One-on-one advising
- Evaluation of your skills and workplace training
- An advanced placement and prior learning (APPL) path, if eligible, best suited for you
- Identification of classes that may be challenged through prior learning (PLAR)**.
**Prior learning assessment fees are additional, per course challenged.
APPL Assessment Process
To create your personalized education pathway, please complete the following APPL Assessment Process.
Step 1: Have the following documents ready:
- Detailed resume
- A detailed letter of validation signed by current and/or previous employers confirming dates of employment, position(s), and job duties (may include a job description)
- Post-secondary transcripts (if applicable)
- Other certificates or training documents
- Create a BCIT Student ID Number
Step 2: Request an Assessment.
Step 3: Pay Assessment Fee
The Financial department at BCIT will contact you shortly to process your payment. DO NOT SEND CHEQUES OR PROVIDE CREDIT CARD INFORMATION TO THE ADVISOR.
Please note: Your assessment will not be processed until the assessment fee and all documents including proof of English have been received. Assessment processing time is four to six weeks.