BCIT is committed to developing and maintaining high quality educational programs and to the ongoing renewal of those programs. BCIT systematically reviews and assesses its programs for quality, currency, and relevance to stakeholder needs. The process is guided by criteria set out by the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training and BCIT's Policy 5402 Program Review [PDF], and the associated procedure. The overall program review process is the responsibility of Academic Planning and Quality Assurance. Individual program reviews are supported by the Learning and Teaching Centre, which works closely with the school teams throughout the process, and by the Institutional Research Office, which compiles a comprehensive data package for programs undergoing review.
In addition to guidance from your Instructional Development Consultant (IDC), the LTC can help with your self-study report or other program review documents, both in terms of editing for clarity and consistency, and creating graphics to clearly illustrate key points. Talk to the Instructional Development Consultant on your Self-Study Team, or contact your School Liaison.
Below are templates, guiding documents, and relevant links to guide the program review process.
Program Review Manual [PDF]. This manual outlines the full process involved in program review at BCIT.
- Self-study report template [DOCX]
- Recommendations with Projected Costs Template [DOCX]
- Final report template [DOCX]
- EdCo report template [DOCX]
- One-year-status report template [DOCX]
External review process
The external review process is outlined in the program review manual. Specific documents related to this part of the process are available below.
- External review team guidelines [PDF].
These guidelines outline information related to the external review team, including the terms of reference, composition, responsibilities, organization of the site visit, and role of the chair.
- External review team candidate form [DOCX].
Complete this form for all candidates you wish to nominate for an external review team.
- External review team sample agenda [DOCX]
This is a sample agenda for the external review team site visit.
- External review team sample report template [DOCX]
The external review team provides a written report following their site visit. This is a sample report temple for their use.
- Program Review Roles/Responsibilities [PDF]
- Accreditation Gap Analysis Worksheet [DOCX]
- Standard Survey Questions
- Completed program review reports
- Common Themes from Completed Program Reviews [PDF]
- Institutional Research (IR) Office
- IR Institutional Reporting System
- Program Review Policy 5402 [PDF] and Procedure [PDF]
- Library Research Guide for Program Development/Change/Review
- BCIT Strategic Plan [PDF]
- BCIT Learning and Teaching Framework