BCIT's program change process ensures the continued responsiveness and currency of our programs, and alignment with stakeholder needs. It is a collaborative and consultative process, led by the schools, and supported by the Learning and Teaching Centre. Procedure 5401-PR2 Program Development and Change [PDF] provides a series of flowcharts outlining the process for making program changes. Program areas are encouraged to consult with the Academic Planning and Quality Assurance Office to confirm whether proposed program changes will be considered major or minor, which determines the process required.
In addition to guidance from your Instructional Development Consultant (IDC), the LTC can help with your proposal documents in terms of editing for clarity and consistency, and creating graphics to clearly illustrate key points. Talk to the IDC on your School Working Group, or contact your School Liaison.
Below are templates, guiding documents, and relevant links to guide the program change process.
Components of proposals
- Program Map Template [DOCX]
- Program Structure Map Template [DOCX]
- Course Outline Template [DOCX] (to be used for proposals)
Development report template
- School Quality Committee Guidelines [PDF]
- SQC Report: Major Curriculum Change [DOCX]
- Operational and Service Groups Meetings Guidelines [PDF]
Approved Program Proposals including program changes
- Procedure 5401-PR1 Credentialing of Programs [PDF] (credential types, credential standards, general education guidelines)
- Procedure 5401-PR2 Program Development and Change Processes [PDF] (process flowcharts)
- BCIT Educational Policies
- BCIT's Strategic Plan [PDF] (2014-2019)
- Library Checklist for New Programs/Major Program Changes
- Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training resources:
- Degree Quality Assessment Board (DQAB) Criteria [PDF] (for degree programs)
- New/Revised Health Programs
- Industry Training Authority (ITA): all Trades programs
- BC Jobs Plan [PDF]