What's Going On?
- Developing BCIT's Research Strategy
- Securing funding from Canada Research Chairs (CRC)
- Developing policies, practices and procedures to help increase research at BCIT
What we've done
- An RTG sub-committee met to consider the key components of a BCIT Research Strategy, and developed a draft document proposing four Strategic Directions for Research at BCIT
- The document will guide the development of a detailed Research Strategy and supporting policies
- The draft "BCIT Research Strategic Directions" document was distributed to the BCIT community on July 12, 2010
- Download: BCIT Research Strategic Directions, July 2010 [PDF]
Where we're going
Encourage faculty and staff to review and comment - please send feedback on the strategy!
2) Securing funding from Canada Research Chairs (CRC)
What we've done
- BCIT received an allocation of 1 Tier 1 and 1 Tier 2 Canada Research Chairs in 2009-2010, 2011-2012, 2013-
- An internal competition was held seeking nominations
- The RTG evaluated the 12 applications received, and forwarded recommendations to the Deans Council:
- to convert our Tier 1 CRC into 2 Tier 2 CRCs,
- to confirm the top 3 candidates
- Three BCIT faculty members submitted nominations for 2010 submission deadlines.
- If successful, BCIT will receive $100,000 annually for 5 years for each Tier 2 Chair, renewable for another 5 years. The CRC submissions are also accompanied by applications to the Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI) for research infrastructure to help acquire state-of-the-art equipment essential to their work
- Nov 12, 2010 - BCIT researcher named Canada Research Chair
- Mar 15, 2011 - BCIT CRC administrators and applicants attend an information session 1. View the presentation.
- Oct 12, 2011 - Second BCIT researcher named Canada Research Chair
- Jun 6, 2014 - BCIT Celebrates Third Canada Research Chair
3) Developing policies, practices and procedures to help increase research at BCITWhat we've done
- Develop guidelines to create School Research Committees and an Institute Research Committee to implement these policies and procedures.
- The role of these committees will be:
- to function as the channel for communications among research participants,
- to provide transparent access to research funding and resources that require decisions at the School or Institute level,
- to provide feedback and direction for research initiatives and policies at BCIT.
- The School Research Committees will be the decision making body for research projects or initiatives that require resources to be allocated by the respective school. The Institute Research Committee will be the decision making body for research projects or initiatives that require resources to be allocated at the Institute Level.
- Create Institute Research Funds to allow BCIT employees to pursue research initiatives that are not able to obtain funding from other sources or allow researchers to leverage institute funds to obtain research funding from external agencies and partners that they would otherwise be unable to access.Two funds have been created:
- VP Research Seed Fund - The intention of this fund is to fund research applications that will require partial release time from duties for the principal investigator for extended periods of time, usually one or more terms.
- Discovery Parks Fund - The intention of this fund is to fund research applications that are for a fixed term or to fund the preparation of applications for external grants.
- Visit the Institute Research Funds website for further information. More details
Institute Research Funds