The BCIT Research Ethics Board (REB) interprets and applies the institute’s Research Ethics for Human Participant Policy #6500 [PDF], which is based on the Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans (TCPS 2).
Any research conducted at BCIT or undertaken by BCIT faculty, staff or students that involves human participants or biological materials (blood, DNA, etc.) should be reviewed and approved by the Research Ethics Board. Guidelines and forms can be found below.
For more information on the REB and research ethics at BCIT:
- Request for Ethical Review [fillable PDF form]
Please email this form and all attachments to the REB Chair.
- Guidelines for Completing Applications for Ethical Review of Activities involving Human Subjects.
- Checklist and Suggestions for Applications
- Guidelines for Creating an Informed Consent Document
- Survey Design Guideline
- BCIT REB Statement on Minimal Risk
- BCIT REB Expedited Review Protocol
- Use of BCIT's Logo on Documents Presented to Participants
- Request for Continuation or Amendment of an Approved Project
- Adverse Event Report Acknowledgement Form
REB Policies and Procedures
- BCIT Policy: 6500 - Research Ethics for Human Participants [PDF]
- BCIT Procedure: 6500-PR1 - Research Ethics for Human Participants [PDF]
- TCPS 2 (2014) - Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans