Motion Capture Lab
Located in the Centre for Applied Research and Innovation (CARI) Building at BCIT’s Burnaby Campus is MAKE+ Motion Capture Lab (MCL). MAKE+ research capabilities have been expanded with the addition of the MCL, equipped with a state-of-the-art 3D motion analysis system that allows the team to record and study detailed movements of man or animal including joint angles and ground reaction forces. The lab is also equipped with technology to capture physiological parameters such as body temperature, muscle movement, heart rate, and oxygen uptake.
In conjunction with the acquisition of the MCL, our research equipment has undergone a substantial upgrade recently which includes:
- High Definition Pan/Tilt/Zoom Robotic cameras and camcorder;
- Two Wireless Mics and two Zoom Field Recorders;
- New digital collection and storage interface for more efficient data processing and higher quality product;
- MacPro G5 workstation and Final Cut Pro Video Editing Suite provides a variety of options including facial masking, split-screen result capabilities, and multiple file type read/write,
- Physiological monitoring has been enhanced with the addition of a CoreTemp wireless core temperature monitoring system, allowing us to monitor core temperature for a distance of up to 300 meters,
- A new Vicon motion capture system that encompasses high resolution and highly accurate cameras that can capture full body movement down to slight wrist movements at up to 500 frames per second at full frame resolution
This lab, along with the Dr. Tong Louie Living Lab provides MAKE+with the ability to perform sophisticated applied research that has been broadened to reach a much larger population base.
Yvette Jones, MSc
4355 Mathissi Place
Burnaby, British Columbia
Canada V5G 4S8
Tel: (604) 456-1123
Fax: (778) 329-0314