Critical Incident ResponseBCIT is committed to promoting individual and community well-being, safety and security by protecting the learning, teaching and working environment of students and employees. When critical incidents occur on campus, BCIT will respond by providing intervention and support to students or employees.
The BCIT policy on critical incident response is to articulate the plan of delivering a timely and coordinated response to critical incidents and urgent situations involving students, employees and visitors to the Institute. The policy is supported by an Incident Management Plan and a Crisis Communication Plan, which will articulate the strategies and methodologies to be used in implementing the Policy. Implementation of the Incident Management Plan and the Crisis Communication Plan will be the responsibility of the Critical Incident Response Team Coordinator.
The Director of Safety, Security and Emergency Management or designate is the Critical Incident Response Team (CIRT) Coordinator and is responsible to:
• receive calls for response to critical incidents from the BCIT community
• ensure the safety and security of individuals at the scene of a critical incident
• arrange for the timely and coordinated response to individual critical incidents
• develop and implements a Critical Incident Management Action Plan and a Crisis Communication Plan
• develop and implement a reporting responsibility to ensure that executives, departments and schools affected by a critical incident are notified of impacts such as institutional liability, ethics and discipline
After hours support
The Safety, Security and Emergency Management Department – Burnaby Security Communications Center is the contact office for after hours contact to persons in distress.
Persons in distress are directed by web page link from the BCIT Counselling and Student Development web page to the Safety and Security Department main page.
The Counselling and Student Development web page provides additional crisis and information contact numbers which are open seven days a week during the times listed.
Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
The Employee and Family Assistance Program provides short-term access to confidential, professional support for all BCIT employees and their immediate family members. There is no cost for you to use this service.
To contact a counsellor, call 1-800-387-4765 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week).