BCIT campuses are occasionally impacted by traffic events which restrict the regular accessibility to the parking lots. In an effort to minimize the delays BCIT provides alternative routes and directions to our commuter community.
Goard Way Infrastructure Renewal Project
Goard Way houses significant underground utilities connections that service the southern half of the Burnaby Campus. BC Hydro feeder lines run from Willingdon Avenue to the existing receiving stations located on the south side of Goard Way, adjacent to Building SE2. Both the feeder lines and the receiving station are approximately 50 years old and have reached the end of serviceable life.
The primary objective for this project is to replace the main BC Hydro feeder, receiving station, and substations. The secondary objective for this project is renewal of end of serviceable life storm and water services running under Goard Way, parallel with the electrical services.
The project is scheduled from November 2014 to October 2015. During this period project updates will be provided to the BCIT community.
Goard Way Construction Notice [PDF]
Goard Way Delivery Notice [PDF]
Goard Way Emergency Access Notice [PDF]
December 3, 2014
- Goard Way between Student Parking A and B will be closed for ongoing work associated with the installation of manholes and electrical duct bank connections.
- Three trees will be removed from the north end of building SE4 and one from the west side of Parking Lot B. Minimal impact to traffic expected.
Utility locate works will be conducted at various locations along Goard Way. Minimal impact to traffic expected.Starting December 15, 2014:
- New Liersch Street north of building SE4 to be constructed and paved. No impact on current traffic routing.
- New temporary construction road connection between White Avenue and Staff Parking Lot 16 to be constructed and paved. Minimal impact to pedestrian traffic expected. Six parking stalls will be temporarily unavailable between December 15, 2014 and January 5, 2015.
- Area north of Goard Way between Willingdon Ave. and White Ave. will be closed for excavation. Mininmal impact to pedestrian traffic expected. Nine parking stalls will be temporarily unavailable between December 15, 2014 and January 5, 2015.
- Work on Goard Way, north of building SE2 (Student Association/Campus Centre) will commence. Pedestrian traffic will be impacted. Temporary fencing will be installed, with signage clearly indicating safe travel routes.
The City of Vancouver has designated Dunsmuir Street as a designated bike lane route. This designation prohibits motor vehicles making a right hand turn from Dunsmuir to Seymour. Commuters need to plan ahead. A recommended alternative is to turn south off Dunsmuir to West Georgia and then complete your right hand turn onto Seymour Street from West Georgia.
Designated streets permitting south bound traffic are:
- Cambie Street
- Hamilton Street
- Richard Street