BCIT campuses are occasionally impacted by traffic events which restrict the regular accessibility to the parking lots. In an effort to minimize the delays BCIT provides alternative routes and directions to our commuter community.
Notice: Parking Lot B Closure
As of Wednesday, August 13, 2014 parking lot B in the north east sector of the BCIT Burnaby campus will be partially closed due to a large construction project. This project involves the renewal of significant components within the BCIT electrical power grid.
A large electrical receiving station - the main point of connection between BC Hydro and the campus electrical grid – will be constructed with the expected completion date slated for September, 2015.
170 parking spaces in the north end of lot B will be closed and behind fences for the duration of the project, while 102 parking spaces at the south end of lot B will remain open.
Students can find alternate parking in the remaining spots in lot B, or in lots A, D, F, E G, J, K, L, M, N, O and Q.
Over the duration of this project, portions of Goard Way will also be impacted by construction. Further information will be posted on this page as it becomes available.
This project is central to ensuring BCIT's electrical grid is renewed and we appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.
Goard Way Infrastructure Renewal Project
Goard Way houses significant underground utilities connections that service the southern half of the Burnaby Campus. BC Hydro feeder lines run from Willingdon Avenue to the existing receiving stations located on the south side of Goard Way, adjacent to Building SE2. Both the feeder lines and the receiving station are approximately 50 years old and have reached the end of serviceable life.
The primary objective for this project is to replace the main BC Hydro feeder, receiving station, and substations. The secondary objective for this project is renewal of end of serviceable life storm and water services running under Goard Way, parallel with the electrical services.
The project is scheduled from November 2014 to October 2015. During this period project updates will be provided to the BCIT community.
Goard Way Construction Notice - Phase 4 [PDF]
Goard Way Delivery Notice [PDF]
Goard Way Emergency Access Notice [PDF]
- Work on Goard Way, directly north of building SE2 (Student Association/ Campus Centre) is underway. Temporary fencing is installed, with signange and flag persons clearly indicating safe travel routes.
- Work on the new Goard Way Receiving Station in Lot B is continuing , with Lot B closed for parking. Lot A has been re-opened for student parking.
February 4th to Mid-March:
- The access road between buildings SE04 and SE06 and the courtyard area between buildings SE02 and SE08 will be closed to traffic intermittently. Pedestrian emergency routes from buildings will be clearly indicated.
- Area sout of SE04 will be closed for new substation preparatory work. Road traffic and access to SE04 will not be impacted.
Mid-February to Mid-May (Phase 3):
- Work along Goard Way will extend eastward. Vehicle traffic will be impacted. Temporary fencing will be installed, with signage and flag person clearly indicating safe travel routes for pedestrians.
- Walkway directly south of the existing Goard Way receiving station (north-east of building SE02) will be closed. Temporary fencing will be installed.
- Parking spots at the South end of building SE02's delivery area will be permanently closed for a new electrcial generator. Delivery access to building SE02 wil not be impacted.
February 13th to Mid-March (Phase 4):
Goard Way between White Avenue and Lister Avenue will be closed for excavation work. Access to English Street will be impacted during this time. Signage and flag person will clearly indicate safe travel routes.
Temporary removal of parking stalls for 3 weeks in Lot 15 (1055-1048 & 1057) and Lot 16 (1108, 1109 & 1103).
Pedestrian detour and emergency route will remain the same with accordance to the traffic plan already in place.
The City of Vancouver has designated Dunsmuir Street as a designated bike lane route. This designation prohibits motor vehicles making a right hand turn from Dunsmuir to Seymour. Commuters need to plan ahead. A recommended alternative is to turn south off Dunsmuir to West Georgia and then complete your right hand turn onto Seymour Street from West Georgia.
Designated streets permitting south bound traffic are:
- Cambie Street
- Hamilton Street
- Richard Street