Microgrids: Energy Innovation for Our Future
Since 2007, BC Hydro and BCIT have joined forces on a research initiative to design and construct Canada's first Smart Power Microgrid at BCIT's Burnaby campus.
The Smart Microgrid Initiative at BCIT advances the state of Smart Grid on a global scale, working to:
- Chart a "path from lab to field" for cost-effective technologies and solutions for Canada's evolving Smart Electricity Grid
- Provide opportunities for electrical utility companies, technology providers and researchers to work together to develop architectures, protocols, configurations and models of the evolving Smart Grid
- Enable Canadian researchers to develop and validate technologies required to meet Canada’s priorities for co-generation, efficient transmission and distribution of electricity, load control, demand response, advanced metering and integration of clean energy sources into the existing and future grids.
With a successful 10-year track record in Smart Grid R&D, BCIT is now working with various Canadian and international partners and clients in the following areas and capacities:
- Consulting Services
- Educational and Training Services
- Solution Design and Implementation
- Testing and Validation
For more information about how to adopt this smart microgrid technology in your community, contact:Dr. Hassan Farhangi,
Director, Smart Microgrid Applied Research Team