Frequently Asked Questions
Library Cards and Accounts
Finding and Borrowing Materials
Photocopying and printing
Computers in the Library
General Questions About BCIT
- What can I do through my library account?
- How do I log into my library account?
- Do I need a Library card?
- Where do I get my BCIT ID card?
- I’ve graduated from BCIT. Can I get a card?
- Can I use my BCIT ID card at UBC or other post-secondary libraries?
- Do I need a card if I’m a distance or online student?
- I’m not a BCIT student. Can I get a card?
- Can I get a card if I’m a part-time student?
- How can I pay my overdue fines?
- How can my students learn about using the Library?
- How can I book a video/DVD to use in my classroom?
- How can I preview a video/DVD prior to purchase?
- How can I find out more about copyright?
- Can I get help with applied research?
- How do I get materials added to the Library collection?
- How can I borrow items from another Library?
- How can I put a book or article on Reserve for my class?
- How can I keep up to date with current research in my field?
- How do I find out what books, journals and audiovisual materials the Library has?
- How do I borrow books, videos, etc.?
- How can I renew materials?
- The book I want is signed out to someone else. What should I do?
- BCIT doesn’t have the book or journal article I want. How can I get it?
- I’m a distance education student. How do I borrow materials?
- Can I get books and articles delivered from other BCIT campus libraries?
- Where do I return books?
- My instructor says there is a book on Reserve for my course. Where will I find it?
- Does the Library have a copy of my textbook?
- I need a description of a course I took at BCIT to apply to another school. How do I get copies of course outlines?
- Does the Library have copies of old exams?
- How do I find online journal articles and books?
- I’m having trouble accessing information from my home computer. What should I do?
- How do I get a password to use the Books 24x7 collection of ebooks?
- I’ve found an article in a database but I can only get a summary. How do I get the whole article?
- How can I make photocopies in the Library?
- How can I print from the computers in the Library?
- Can I print in colour?
- How can I add money to my BCIT ID card?
- How do I log in to the computers in the Library?
- How can I get help if I can’t log in?
- Where can I find a scanner?
- Where can I do assignments in the Library?
- Where can I get Internet access in the Library?
- Do the Library computers have access to the Share In/Out directory?
- Can I borrow a laptop?
- Is the Library wireless?
- Can I use a computer if I’m not a BCIT student?
(N.B. many technical and computer questions are answered in the campus Knowledge Base.)