About the School
The School of Construction and the Environment is the best place to learn about the natural and built environments. We have a diverse range of courses, programs, and credentials. We're also moving towards an integrated and multidisciplinary approach with themes of sustainability, sociology, the humanities and more—including topics such as new building materials, alternative and renewable energy systems, construction practices in environmentally sensitive sites, life cycle design methods, and affordable and safe housing. Existing programs have been undergoing exciting, positive changes that benefit students and society.
Unique at BCIT
Here's what sets us apart:
- We are the largest trades training institution in BC, providing the majority of apprenticeship training in the province.
- The average starting salary of graduates in 2009 was $5,000 per month.
- When asked if their training has been useful in performing their job, 97% of BCIT graduates say, "Yes!".
- When asked if they were satisfied with their education, 100% of our graduates say, "Yes!".
Here are just a few of our notable programs:
- Building Science, Master of Engineering is a first-of-a-kind program in BC and western Canada.
- Building Engineering / Building Science, Master of Applied Science is a first-of-a-kind program in BC and western Canada.
- Mineral Exploration and Mining Technology is the only program of its kind in Western Canada.
- Sustainable Energy Management Associate Certificate (SEMAC) program is a partnership between BC Hydro and BCIT.
- Civil Engineering, Bachelor of Engineering is a nationally accredited degree.
- Apprenticeships in programs such as Metal Fabrication, Plumbing, Steamfitting, Carpentry, and Ironworking are qualified for the Interprovincial Red Seal which is recognized throughout Canada.
- And more
Our facilities include:
- Fire simulation theatre
- Fully operational pulp mill
- Operating demonstration forest and wood lot in Maple Ridge
- Salmonoid enhancement facility developed by BCIT students on the Seymour river
- Building Envelope Test Facility
- Elevated Research Platform (ERP)
- A housing demonstration project, AFRESH Home
- Green Roof Research Facility
- Building Science Materials Laboratory
Refer to the BCIT fact sheet for interesting facts about our School and Institute.