BCIT Business Consulting Projects
BCIT Business Consulting Projects match a group of two or three students with local businesses to provide recommendations and solutions to a business problem or challenge. Most projects are completed between January and May of each year. Business Consulting Projects are available in marketing, human resources, business operations, and information technology.
Business Consulting Projects are different from traditional co-op and internship programs. Students are not assigned to actual positions, but rather fill a consulting role for your organization. A team of 2-3 students will spend countless hours dedicated to your project. Your organization will receive a comprehensive written report and an oral presentation outlining the student consulting team's research and proposed recommendations.
Each project will have a BCIT faculty member that will serve as an advisor for the student consulting team. Exit surveys from participating companies show that the completed strategic business solutions have a value that far surpassed their expectations.
BENEFITS OF PARTICIPATINGBCIT Business Consulting Projects are a win-win-win scenario that benefits all parties involved.
- Businesses benefit by receiving recommendations and solutions to an operational challenge.
- Students benefit by applying their BCIT education in a true business atmosphere and gaining experience in their new profession.
- BCIT benefits by connecting with industry and advancing our education programs to meet the needs of the business world.
PROJECT SUCCESS CRITERIAThe following factors can contribute to a successful outcome for your organization and the student consulting teams:
- A project that addresses an important business need
- Project work that requires students to apply learned skills
- A clearly defined and achievable project scope
- Well-defined project boundaries
- “Hands-on” involvement by the client
- General project oversight by a senior manager
- A supportive work environment
- Introductions and access to key stakeholders