Supporting and Giving Back to BCIT
Our Commitment to BCIT Students
BCIT is committed to the success of our students, and the Alumni Association supports this commitment.
BCIT wants to attract and retain the best students and help more students to achieve the advantage all alumni have — a BCIT credential.
Providing bursary support for students is the area of greatest potential at BCIT, because it promises the highest return on investment.
Financing Education: Reality Check
Today’s students pay a higher percentage of their tuition than any previous generations.
Increases in tuition, combined with rising costs of living, means many students face overwhelming financial challenges in pursuing their education today.
- Average student debt is $14,000
- Average cost for a 2 year diploma is $10,540 compared to $3,012 in 1990
- Average cost for a full-time degree program = $12,290
- Number of students who received awards: 1,992 (2012/13)
- Number of students applying for financial support who did not receive support: 315
Supporting Students: Return on Investment
Canadians with a post-secondary education enjoy:
- Higher earnings -- as much as $23,000 on average more than those with only a high school diploma.
- Higher earnings growth over their careers.
- Up to half the incidence of low income of those with a high school diploma.
- Lower unemployment risks.
- Higher net assets.
- Higher income in retirement.